Curriculum Vitae - Resumé
Hi there. If you are looking to employ me, or are just interested in what I've done, you can find my CV here, or you can download it in Adobe PDF format by clicking the icon to the right.
Graham is an experienced Drupal, PHP and front-end developer with over 7 years experience of web development and programming including xHTML, CSS, digital graphics, CMS, database design and deployment. He has strong problem-solving and innovating skills and is a quick learner. He has a passion for standards-based design and accessibility, as well as user-centric design. Seeking a web development role in a vibrant new media organisation where his skills can really make a difference.
Skills and Experience:
- Drupal & PHP development Strong experience developing websites using the Drupal framework, as well as other technologies including Wordpress, CiviCRM, Mediawiki and phpBB. Able to design and manage MySQL databases and LAMP environments. Understanding of software design principles and project methodologies such as agile development, Model View Controller principles and versioning repositories.
- Problem solving, analysis and communication Adept at communicating at all levels and disciplines, including report writing and presentations. Led and worked in teams with designers, developers and clients. Strong problem solving abilities and always able to find a solution through creative thinking. Can analyse and identify appropriate needs and technologies for particular projects. A very quick learner and can adapt and learn whatever is needed for a particular project.
- Visual Basic, .NET, ASP (advanced)
- MS-SQL databases (advanced)
- XML, XSLT (advanced)
- CRM design and implementation
- Photoshop and digital graphics (advanced)
- C, Java (Basic), MATLAB (advanced)
- LAMP, and windows web server setup and maintenance (advanced)
- Windows (expert), Linux (basic), Mac OS X (advanced)
- Content Management Systems (advanced)
- Premiere and video encoding (advanced)
- Document design and desktop publishing
- Hardware evaluation & assembly (expert)
- Computer Troubleshooting (expert)
- Microsoft Office (expert)
- Numerical analysis and presentation (advanced)
- Oral presentations (advanced)
- French Language (Basic)
- Successful management and deployment of over 15 Drupal based CMS websites for government projects, universities and a major teaching support organisation.
- Designed and created of bespoke AJAX e-learning application and web platform in Drupal to empower non-technical users to create online learning materials with little experience.
- Project managed, coded and delivered the website and CRM for a major government teaching project to a tight deadline and small budget using open source software. Significant usability efforts allowed remote non-technical staff to use the automated system, saving the business time and money.
April 2011 - present: Drupal Developer - Torchbox Ltd.
- Applied extensive Drupal expertise with contributed modules to create user communities, automated mailouts and template layouts for major nonprofit organisations. Showed complex problem solving skills troubleshooting sites using up to 160 modules.
- Planned and developed custom modules and features for Drupal, including reusable white label features.
- Worked with Agile project management methodologies including Kanban and feature-driven development.
Feb 2007 - current time: Lead Developer - Subject centre for LLAS, Higher Education Academy
- Promotion to senior role due to excellent performance, skills and responsibility. Supervisory responsibility for student programmer and junior web developer. Gave training and assistance to other developers, as well as supervising and quality checking output.
- Continued hands-on development role including contribution to bespoke Drupal modules and themes
- Coordinated the team’s work, implemented new working practices and industry standard work patterns to streamline productivity.
- Planned and project managed the design, programming and deployment to a very short deadline, of a web based CRM database for tracking constituent information. Demonstrated planning skills and the ability to bring a project in on schedule, as well as complex PHP database design.
- Planned and migrated the organisations website portfolio from legacy Microsoft server to a new managed PHP/MySQL Linux server platform with greater redundancy and reliability. The execution of this change occurred with no disruption in service to visitors and minimum of disruption to content editors, demonstrating vital communication and planning skills.
- Communicated with management and admin staff to discuss and analyse requirements for content and design. Gave recommendations on interface and usability guidelines. Also gave strategic advice on emerging web technologies suitable to the organization.
Feb 2007 – Feb 2009: Web Developer - Subject centre for Languages, Higher Education Academy
- Performed audit and analysis on suitable CMS solutions for a major project, settling on the Drupal framework for its flexibility and community. Learned, implemented and customised Drupal, and developed custom modules for functions where existing solutions could not meet business needs.
- Migration of bespoke legacy .NET CMS to the new Drupal platform, including legacy database migration, content, taxonomies and theme.
- Implemented easy to use interface design such that content could be updated by non technical staff easily and with minimal training. Provided training for staff in these systems using familiar language.
- Responsible for server setup and maintenance of five websites with a total visitor load of 25,000 unique visitors per month.
Dec 2006 - July 2007: Web Consultant - Chg Southampton Ltd.
- Responsible for revamp of content and design changes, and paypal integration
2003 - Sep 2006: Web Consultant - School Of Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Southampton
- Communicated with clients and discussed and analysed their requirements on content and design. Suggested points to improve and usability guidelines. Arranged regular update meetings to present and get feedback on design and extra features. Ongoing communication and feedback.
- Multiple commissions were received following the success of the first project for four different clients within the department.
Sep 2003 - Sep 2004: Laboratory Tutor - University Of Southampton
- Directly coached a series of students through practical and theoretical demonstrations
- This required communication of key principles and effective team-building adjusted to an appropriate level for the audience along with a friendly and approachable manner.
- Objective assessment and marking of work required analysis of student written work along with effective verbal investigative skills and targeted questioning.
Jun 2002 - Sep 2003: Editor/Graphic Design Assistant - Optoelectronics Research Centre, Univ. of Southampton
- Reported to the departmental head of public relations. Exhibited strong communication skills in liaising with research staff and adapting publication content from technical documents.
- Responsible for the design of printed material and technical reports. Strong publishing and design skills.
Education & Qualifications
2003 - 2006: Doctorate (PhD) - University Of SouthamptonThesis Title: Surface Effects in Liquid Crystal-Polymer Structures
- Research on surface effects in liquid crystal cells. The project was heavily reliant on computer modelling and simulation. This required in-depth mathematical programming and data manipulation. Experience using MATLAB language.
- Key Skills: Working under pressure to deadlines, self-motivation and task planning, working in a team, presentations of 30+ minutes and poster design and presentation.
1999 - 2003: MPhys Physics Masters Degree, Upper Second Class Honours - University Of Southampton
- Including basic electronics, programming, presentation skills and report writing in the form of a 3 month dissertation and a final year project for which I received a first class equivalent grade.
- Key Skills: Problem solving and the ability to analyse a situation or task and quickly identify the most efficient way to tackle it
2010: ITIL V3 Foundation certificate - British Computer Society
1997 - 1999: A-levels; Computing (A), Physics (B) and Mathematics with Applications (B)
Taunton's College, Southampton, UK
1996 - 1997: GCSE's - A*'s, 1 A, 4 B's and 2 C's.
Received the John Jarrold Prize for Science. Hethersett High School, Norwich, UK
Interests and other activities
President: SUSU Games Society (2003-2004)
Drafted new society constitution which was used for all new university societies. Increased membership by 600%. Was in a management role responsible for directing 4 other people and providing services to over 30 members. Also later held a communication/web officer role.
Teaching Assistant: SU Junior Maths Summer School (Summers 1998/1999)
Supervision and communication of mathematical concepts to 14-15 year olds.
Cycling, hiking, photography, films, gaming, personal website